Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Simoun -- Voice Actress Photos

I've finally made a page with photos of all the seiyuus in Simoun, and pics of their characters. Better late than never. Despite the fact that some of the characters were male, the entire cast was female. For various reasons, probably both social and aural, this gave the show some of its special flavor.

It was nice to find the faces of some of the older seiyuus, such as those for Wauf and Halconf and Anubituf. And Furoe's seiyuu, who turns out to be 16, has only done this one show, so her photo is a cap from one of the DVD extras. There are links to further info about each seiyuu. There's also a link to pages showing pics of all the minor characters and telling which one of the main cast members played them.



In seeking out information about Yukana (Dominura), I discovered that she is a controversial figure. In 2000, she was accused of having ruined one sound director's marriage. When you see her photo, you'll see someone who looks rather sharp and extremely attractive. She took six months off to go and do English study in the US, then returned and changed her stage name from Nogami Yukana to just Yukana. One post I saw said that in fact the sound director in question was a bachelor, so who knows what actually happened.

Then last year, she was chosen to play Four Murasame in a new Zeta Gundam OVA, and the older seiyuu who had played the role in the '80s went ballistic, covering her home page with closely-argued tirades against the sound director who had chosen Yukana. The rumor was that Yukana had got the role because of a personal or physical relationship with the sound director. The "casting couch" is apparently not unknown in the seiyuus' world. Gundam fans sided with the previous seiyuu and although their ire was against the sound director, Yukana was tarnished. In Yukana's entry in the Hashihime Seiyuu Gallery, there's a link to a Japanese site about the controversy.

But Yukana's great talent seems to have overcome all that. Not only did she play Mashiro in Mai-Otome, and Dominura, Eri and Erif in Simoun, but she has important roles in two current hits: Code Geass and Soukou no Strain. Roles that differ considerably from either of her roles in Simoun. I love her work in both shows, and so far can actually recommend the latter show itself, which is mecha SF with a plot based loosely on A Little Princess (!?), and which stars the great Kawasumi Ayako.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

yikes! you might want to replace the Takahashi Rieko image with the one from ANN, or somewhere else. the current one is not very flattering.

hashihime said...

Well, it looked good to me. I'm going for recent, real and spirited, and it had all three. But if you think it makes her look bad, then others will, too, and I don't want that. So I made another cap from the same DVD extra. Howzat?

I try to avoid taking images from ANN except when I can't find anything at least as good elsewhere, like official sites, magazines, seiyuu videos, etc.

tj han said...

A good read, considering how starved most western fans are of seiyuu gossip. But I think Yukana isn't particularly good, save for her English pronounciation. She did the English episode title reading at the start of every Last Exile episode. And this season she's also doing Kasumi from Kujibiki Unbalance.

hashihime said...

I thought Dominura was good. I think Lotti in Soukou no Strain is good. I can't tell about C.C. in Code Geass yet, but there have been some arresting moments. I don't really know anything much before that, including Mashiro -- although I did enjoy the character in the couple of eps of Mai-Otome that I watched. I'm getting a bit of both of a seiyuu's virtues: a pleasing or dramatic timbre, and acting that gets the character across. I only watched one ep of Kujibiki Unbalance. It does seem as if, although she has a characteristic voice, she can play a number of different kinds of roles. Eri and Dominura in the one show was a good stretch. But I'm just learning this stuff, so I don't have a huge number of voices and roles to judge from.

Kurogane said...

Yeah, I didn't know that about Yukana.

But voice-wise, she remains one of my favourite voices to follow. She has done quite a vast range of roles, all of which I like, and her voice really does have a unique sound to it that makes her instantly recognisable.

Hope you'll bring us more seiyuu gossip, hashihime ;). Btw, how about joining Animeblogger.net. Blogspot is really unreliable. I had to refresh 3-4 times to get here :x

TJ said...

I remember that stuff with Yukana and Gundam. Did the fans ever come to any conclusion about what did happen?

In any case, while Yukana is instantly recognizable and able to play a variety of roles, I am not always impressed with her work because her voice is a tad too helium for me.

Tsubaki said...

Finally, seiyuu gossips! Aye, I agree with Kuro, you should get on to ab.net. Blogger's the worst medium for an anime blog.