Thursday, January 24, 2008

Anican's Readers Pick Top Seiyuus of 2007

Anican have published their readers' choices for top seiyuus of 2007. Fukuyama Jun and Sugita Tomokazu are the favorite males, and Horie Yui and Hirano Aya the favorite females. The favorite up-and-comers are Inoue Marina and Miyano Mamoru, and the top seiyuu groups are Aice5 and the Lucky Star crew.

Fukuyama JunMale
1 Fukuyama Jun 2218 votes
2 Sugita Tomokazu 1116
3 Houshi Souichirou 921
4 Miyano Mamoru 846
5 Sakurai Takahiro 775
6 Ono Daisuke 646
7 Seki Tomokazu 619
8 Wakamoto Norio 526
9 Kamiya Hiroshi 493
10 Yoshino Hiroyuki 477

Horie YuiFemale
1 Horie Yui 2489 
2 Hirano Aya 2276
3 Mizuki Nana 2202
4 Tamura Yukari 2085 
5 Kugimiya Rie 1254
6 Nakahara Mai 715 
7 Chihara Minori 642
8 Noto Mamiko 615
9 Hayashibara Megumi 553
10 Nonaka Ai 527

Hirano AyaSeiyuu Groups
1 Aice5 2054 (Horie Yui, Kanda Akemi,Takahashi Chiaki, Asano Masumi, Kimura Madoka)
2 "Izumi Konata, Hiiragi Kagami, Hiiragi Tsukasa, Takara Miyuki" 1206 (Hirano Aya, Katou Emiri, Fukuhara Kaori, Endou Aya, from Lucky Star)
3 STA☆MEN 774 (Kishio Daisuke, Suzumura Kenichi, Suwabe Junichi, Takahashi Hiroki, Toriumi Kousuke, Yasumura Makoto, Yoshino Hiroyuki)
4 THE IDOLM@STER 669 (Wakabayashi Naomi, Hirata Hiromi, Nigo Mayako, Shimada Asami, Hasegawa Akiko, Takahashi Chiaki, Imai Mami, Kugimiya Rie, Ochiai Yurika, Nakamura Eriko)
5 Kurobara Hozonkai 547 (Horie Yui, Furuya Mitsuo, Kashiwada Keiichi, Suwa Masaru, Konno-san)
6 Nana Kana 425 (Inoue Nana, Sakai Kanako)
7 SOS-Dan 402 (Hirano Aya, Sugita Tomokazu, Chihara Minori, Gotou Yuuko, Ono Daisuke)
8 GRANRODEO 334 (Taniyama Kishou, Iizuka Masaaki)
9 Daizu 258 (Kishio Daisuke, Mizushima Takahiro)
10 Zetsubou Shoujotai 198 (Ootsuki Kenji、Nonaka Ai, Inoue Marina, Kobayashi Yuu, Sawashiro Miyuki, Shintani Ryouko)


Inoue MarinaUp-and-coming artists
1 Inoue Marina 1029
2 Miyano Mamoru 785
3 Chihara Minori 707
4 Ono Daisuke 571
5 Fujita Saki 498 
6 Yonaga Tsubasa 456
7 Nakamura Yuuichi 422
8 Kobayashi Yuu 284
9 Katou Emiri 235
10 Shiraishi Minoru 223

I wonder where Hanazawa Kana and Takagaki Ayahi are among the newcomers. Inoue Marina is good, but I still haven't found her that special, even in Minami-ke. Miyano Mamoru, Ono Daisuke, and Nakamura Yuuichi? Sure. Chihara Minori? Yes, although more as a singer than as a seiyuu for me, so far. I like Hatsune Miku, the android voice based on samples from Fujita Saki, but I haven't heard Fujita-san in anything that has really turned me on. And I would certainly include Yahagi Sayuri and Sasaki Nozomi, but that's just me. The young seiyuu with the brightest future, in my opinion, is Hayami Saori, but she's only 16 and has had only two named roles.

As for the main seiyuu rankings, Fukuyama Jun is good, but I don't enjoy him as much as I do the two Tomokazus, Ono Daisuke, Miyano Mamoru, Sakurai Takahiro, or Kamiya Hiroshi.

Much as I like Hirano Aya, there are a number of female seiyuu not on the list that I would rate higher than anyone on it: Paku Romi, Kuwashima Houko, Kawasumi Ayako, Kobayashi Sanae, Yajima Akiko. I'd put Sawashiro Miyuki and Yukino Satsuki in there somewhere, too. And where the heck is the marvelous Koshimizu Ami?

But Japanese seiyuu fans see and hear a lot more of these people as personalities on radio and TV than I do, so I expect that factors in to their choices.

Source: Watch! Seiyuu-san.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Miyano-san <3

saorren said...

maa, the results of one single magazine can only represent the opinions of their reader group anyway, which also depends on what material they put up through the year. i'm waiting for the seiyuu awards... will probably be out by march like last year i assume~

j1m0ne said...

I never read Anican so I don't know what sort of demographic their readership is. Like saorren said, the results depend largely on what sort of stuff the mag focuses on.

Amisuke fares better on Voice Newtype polls thanks to incessant Code Geass coverage, I would think. Mizuki Nana regularly tops VN polls for fave female seiyuu and Suzumura Kenichi for the males.

Inoue Marina's appeal does not lie purely in her voice acting skills; personality and looks are also an important part of the package - especially in a seiyuu magazine where it's all about the visuals ^_^

Sakki has hosted quite a few radio shows and live events, and keeps her blog well updated which certainly helps earn her a few more fans. I do like her a lot myself.

hashihime said...

Yeah, definitely just one magazine and its readers. That's why I avoided any claims about "popularity in Japan" and simply mentioned the magazine.

I don't think any awards, even the "Seiyuu Awards" that will come out in March, accurately represent a seiyuu's overall popularity in Japan. Although if the Seiyuu Awards actually have open voting and votes counted equally -- which I'm not sure they do -- then they have a chance to be fairly accurate.

And I had a look at what was online from Anican and saw Horie Yui and Mizuki Nana well covered, and Hirano Aya covered recently. This tallies nicely with the points saorren and j1m0ne were making.

I'll have to make an effort to check out Sakki and Marina more online.

Emily said...

"Paku Romi, Kuwashima Houko, Kawasumi Ayako, Kobayashi Sanae, Yajima Akiko. I'd put Sawashiro Miyuki and Yukino Satsuki in there somewhere, too. And where the heck is the marvelous Koshimizu Ami?"SECONDED xD

Wow. Fukuyama Jun absolutely pwned. He's almost double the number two.

You know what, I think a foreign seiyuu popularity poll would be really good. Radio and TV in Japan add to the personality but not the talent. Most people living outside of Japan will only be exposed to a seiyuu's voice acting. Judging a seiyuu by the voice acting sounds less bias xD

Kaioshin Sama said...

Wow, pure Moe-Centric popularity list:

I still think Sugita Tomokazu is one of the most overated VA's in the industry. Every role I see him in he makes a mockery of the character he is interpreting and turns him into what amounts to Kyon. The last straw for me was with Kodomo No Jikan and Reiji. I mean come on, how did he manage to Kyonize that character.

As for females, Aya Hirano and Yui Horie? For what exactly? Does Manabi Straight really count for that much? What criteria are they measuring these things off of anyway. Actors like Nana Mizuki, Rie Kugimiya and Yukari Tamura have seen and done far more intersting work, and with greater variety in their roles than either of these two.

I also love how Weiss isn't even on the list of Top Seiyuu groups. For those not in the know it features Seki Tomokazu, Shinichiro Miki and Takehito Koyasu among others, some of the most storied and still extremely active male talents in the industry. Yet not even in the top ten.

Up and Coming artists now. First of all no Aya Endo, quite possibly the VA seeing the most varied and interesting work after her breakthrough with Lucky Star. Chihara Minori is going nowhere fast as far as I can tell. She was in Lucky Star and then what this year? And I still think she can't act her way out of a paper bag. Shiraishi Minoru get's work from Kyoto Animation and that's about it, so I don't see how he's up and coming, unless that's all it takes, and judging by this poll that may just be the case. And Marina Inoue has just been in a lot of popular shows this year, but has been around since at least 2004.

Like come on, could this be any more based on what Moe series one was in. I have to guess Anican is such a Moe oriented magazine otherwise this ranking is positively brutal.

gia said...

I'm all in favor of Jun Fukuyama, but I'm surprised Miyano didn't rank higher. Between Death Note and Gundam 00 I figure he made plenty of fans in '07.

hashihime said...

@gia -- Good point about Mamo-chan.

@emily -- seiyuu poll. hmmmm.

@kaioshin_sama -- Interesting comments. But as saorren and j1mOne wrote, these ratings are partly based on media appearances that we don't see as much of. The top three are certainly there for general popularity as seiyuu and as idols. But Aya is there for her comic performance in Lucky Star as well, Hocchan was in 11 shows in 2007, and Nana-chan was in Darker than Black and Mokke. You're certainly right about moe being important, but Anican seems a bit more than just moe. Take a look at the link at the head of the blog piece.

I know you admire Kugimiya Rie, but I haven't seen much besides her tsundere shows, which don't do a lot for me. I love Tamura Yukari, but there are many better actresses around, in my opinion. Mizuki Nana is the one top seiyuu/singer that I still just don't get. Very skilful, but almost always boring to me, with repetitive musical phrasing and an overblown singing style, and acting that seems like a performance rather than a character. But I admit that impression may be because of my imperfect Japanese. Aaya breaks the rules but communicates emotion, to me, as well as being a good comedienne. I'm not a big Horie Yui fan -- especially of her singing -- but she's excellent in some roles.

As for Weiss, I gather it may not have been active last year. They did a "last live" in 2003.

And we do differ about Sugita. What about Mayama in Honey & Clover, or Francis in the recent Angelique, or Soldier Blue, or Howlingstar, or Rodin Ciol in Wellber? There's only one or maybe two of those that I hear any Kyon in.

Seiryuu said...

i knew aya hirano will be one of the top ten wahaha!

chanpon said...

I'm glad Sugita is finally getting a lot of recognition since his role as Kyon, but sadly the new audience seems to think he sprung out of nowhere to work on The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi. The guy's been working 8+ years in this business, and has displayed far more range than what most people who know him today have heard. Congrats to him and a much deserved nod, even if it is just from the Anican audience. ^_^

TJ said...

That's quite an old picture of Inoue. She hasn't looked like that for awhile.

Anyway, thanks for the coverage. Always interesting to see what some media outlet says in their polls.

-Wavedash

hashihime said...

@tj -- Yes, that's the younger, plumper Marina. Forgive me, I was in a hurry, and that's what I had, lol. I was thinking of changing it, and now I have.

Kaioshin Sama said...

We need to get you to see Gundam 00 and Hagane no Renkinjutsushi for less Tsundere based roles. It blows most people's minds when they learn that she was Alphonse Elric's voice.