Sunday, February 24, 2008

"true tears" Becomes Most Popular New Show on 2channel

The romance drama true tears has passed Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei to become the most popular new-season show on 2channel, the Japanese forum site.

true tears is on its 88th thread, having passed 87,000 posts. Zetsubou Sensei is on its 85th thread (84,000+ posts).

A little over a month ago, Zetsubou Sensei was 50 threads ahead, but true tears has captivated fans both on 2channel in Japan, and also on the international English forum site AnimeSuki, where it has 2417 posts and rising fast, just behind Spice & Wolf (2559). Minami-ke O-kawari is also very popular, but since its topic is merged with the topic for the original Minami-ke, its popularity is harder to measure.

On 2channel, threads have sprung up with names like "true tears -- godly anime" and "Compared to true tears, Clannad is a Worthless Harem Anime." And there is now a special thread for spoilers and speculation, as there is on AnimeSuki.

true tears is by far my own favorite show of the new season, too, with Spice & Wolf next. The voice-acting in both is superb. Comparative newcomer Takagaki Ayahi (Feldt Grace in Gundam00) as Noe is outstanding, as is Iguchi Yuka (Sakura in Tokimeki Memorial) as Ai. That Nazuka Kaori (Eureka in Eureka Seven, Cossette in Les Miserables) is excellent as Hiromi is no surprise. One other performance that steals the show for me is Takahashi Rieko (Neviril in Simoun) as the hero's mother.

Here are the current numbers of threads for all the new shows in the top 100 most recently posted about shows on 2channel:

true tears 88
Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei 85
GUNSLINGER GIRL -IL TEATRINO- 28
Spice and Wolf 27
Yattaman 21
Shigofumi 20
Persona 17
Rosario to Vampire 17
Hakaba Kitaro 13
KimiAru 12
H2O~FOOTPRINTS IN THE SAND~ 10
Hakutenko Yuugi 10
Major 5 5
Noramimi 4
Ayakashi 3
Mnemosyne 2
Porfy no Nagai Tabi 2
Zenryoku Usagi 1


And here are figures for shows continuing from last October:

Minamike/Okawari 230
Shakugan no Shana II 167
Gundam00 150
CLANNAD 188
Kimikiss 136
Bamboo Blade 78
Gegege no Kitaro 37
Rental Magica 20
Nougami Neuro 18
Shion no Ou 9
Ghost Hound 7
Mokke 5

Some shows are missing because they were not among the last 100 shows posted about.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well it’s neat to see the 2chan fans liking what the AS fans like also. It seems sometimes the two have divergent taste.

"true tears -- godly anime" and "Compared to true tears, Clannad is a Worthless Harem Anime."

HA! I love it. Even though I like Clannad too.

True Tears is a good antidote to the mess--in my opinion-- that was ef-A Tale of Memories. Hopefully it won't disappoint me like that show.

“Comparative newcomer Takagaki Ayahi (Feldt Grace in Gundam00) as Noe is outstanding, as is Iguchi Yuka (Sakura in Tokimeki Memorial) as Ai. That Nazuka Kaori (Eureka in Eureka Seven, Cossette in Les Miserables) is excellent as Hiromi is no surprise. One other performance that steals the show for me is Takahashi Rieko (Neviril in Simoun) as the hero's mother.”

Love her as Noe. Ai and Hiromi are good too. I have a soft spot for the underdog girls like Ai and the cute eccentric girls like Noe. Hiromi is delicious as the tragic love lorn girl longing for the love she “can’t” have. The mother is so deliciously wicked in a subdued way.

SvenTheSweeper

Owen S said...

So 2ch(an?) has taste that doesn't suck bigtime after all. Good job, Japan, you've redeemed yourself that little bit more in my eyes.

Anonymous said...

This will hopefully translate into an avalanche of goods (licensed and unlicensed) for the 2ch crowd. Depending on the ending, if my favourite girl wins, I might have to to spend actual money. I hope PA-Works knows what's good for them.

Anonymous said...

how do you know what are the most talked about anime shows in 2chan? link please? +10 internets for you :D

-boiledliddo- said...

I agree.:)

True Tears is the best anime I've watched for this year, there's nothing quite like it. It's the only anime which have made me smile involuntarily.

Also having a better OP music than Clannad imo.

hashihime said...

This show cuts across fan groups to a greater extent than any show I can remember. On AnimeSuki, the show's fans seem to have interests in a wide range of genres, and approach the show in many different ways.

I think this has to do with the show's godly animation, which attracts fans regardless of genre, as well as its being both a good ero-game-derived harem show, and a high-quality romantic drama.

@anonymous #3 -- "how do you know what are the most talked about anime shows in 2chan? link please?"

The 2channel "anime" forum is organized by topics for individual shows. I put the list into a spreadsheet, eliminated the topics that didn't refer to individual shows that started in the past two seasons, and sorted them by number of threads for each topic (each thread represents ~1000 posts).

Here is a link to the anime forum, and here is the overall link to 2channel.

The way the threads are laid out normally is a little hard to work with, so I use a program called 2chtsubo (its icon is a vase or "tsubo") that you can find from links on 2channel itself. It puts the topics in a vertical column and also has the benefit of using some kind of proxy and cache system to reduce strain on 2channel's servers.

There are lots of other 2channel viewer programs, but I use this one, which allows me to still use Firefox, and its excellent "rikaichan" Japanese dictionary add-on. There is also a 2channel add-on in the Firefox add-on site, but I like 2chtsubo better.

Kaioshin Sama said...

You know I still don't get what prompts 2channers to talk more about certain shows even to this day, and it sort of bothers me. I still think it goes by Genre mostly.

hashihime said...

@kaioshin_sama -- I think a certain smooth, perfect style of animation impresses them. I think mecha, comedy, magical girl, magic romance have all been fan favorites, I think, partly because of animation. Maybe there are just large groups of each genre's fans, but they all like animation.

In this case, I think that the story is also being well told, with a lot of interesting relationships, subtle feelings, and plot evolution. We'll see where they take it from here.

Shippoyasha said...

I think True Tears is good, but not the best, not even this season IMO.

I guess it's mostly because of the underlying mystery of the relationships that does it for the most part, which creates gossip.

I still say stuff like Kaiji, Aria and Zetsubo Sensei is heads above it in terms of entertainment value, but so goes the spoils I guess.

hashihime said...

@shippoyasha -- Everyone has their own opinion. The shows you name are shows I admire, but when I try to watch them I get bored. true tears has deeper and realer characters, for me. And I just like romance, I guess.

Shippoyasha said...

Well, at least True Tears does have the most complex romantic arcs going since the likes of ef last year. I do watch True Tears loyally actually. I'm not enamored with the characters who all seems to have ridiculous amounts of relationship problems that's all. It's almost stressful watching it for me.

Though the OP is just incredible. I loved eufonius since Kashimashi and I almost think the show is grounded on the incredible OP.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!