Thursday, August 07, 2008

Tamura Yukari and Yahagi Sayuri Playing Games

Yahagi SayuriHere is a video from an Otogijushi Akazukin DVD of Tamura Yukari (who plays Akazukin) and Yahagi Sayuri (Gretel). They talk about their roles and play a funny little tabletop game.

Yukarin is oHagi's senpai at I"m Enterprises. They are two of the most talented voices in the industry, in my opinion. Yukarin is the consummate pro, and oHagi is getting there, with her wonderful juicy voice now under more and more control. I don't think of either of them as serious actresses, like a Sawashiro Miyuki or a Paku Romi, but for normal anime roles, they are both outstanding.

From her first role as Karin, I have simply loved oHagi. She is widely regarded as ugly, but really she is ugly-cute. She's a belle laide, as the French say (a beautiful ugly woman). That goes for Yukarin, too, in my opinion. I find oHagi utterly charming on radio and in videos like this. Natural, funny, and nice.

Yukarin (32) is best known for playing Nanoha, but she has had many other great roles, including Mai in Kanon, Sakura in DaCapo, and Rika in Higurashi.


-- video removed from YouTube --


oHagi (22) burst onto the scene at 19 with her wonderful voice as Karin in 2005, and now is getting constant work as a reliable second-line performer. She was outstanding doing the weepy voice of Kuu in Kyoshiro and the Eternal Sky, and is now Haruna in ToLoveRu. She has the juiciest voice I know, although she appears to be trying to dry it out a bit so she can play more varied roles.

And I just found another hilarious little oHagi video, from her time on the Voice Crew radio show. She and her co-host test various drinks:




Just for good measure, here is a link to another video, of oHagi and Konishi Katsuyuki being interviewed about Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora.

In Hirano Aya news this week, Aaya visited both Hokkaido and Kyushu recently, promoting her album by visiting stores and doing mini-lives in Sapporo and Fukuoka. The album has been a commercial success, selling 31,862 copies in its first three weeks of release. It went from sixth for its first week, to #32 and then #52, but it is still selling: 2,994 copies in the third week.

Today's blog entry from Aaya says that they are now recording the final episodes of Daughter of Twenty-Faces. I have loved her work in that show, although I was not so happy with it in the most recent episode, ep15.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you say Yukarin`s ugly?
You must be joking. From certain angles Yukarin looks most beautiful.I wouldn`t discuss Yahagis looks either, she`s primarily a seiyuu, not photo model, and her voice is very nice. Yukarin has to this far been best as Ranpha in Galaxy Angel in my opinion.
Otherwise, good article.

hashihime said...

@anonymous -- Well, I guess I was trolling a bit -- if you can troll your own blog. But I really do think of Yukarin as funny-looking. Attractive, certainly, but with those huge ears and broad face, she is no classical beauty. My basic point was that it is possible to be "ugly" or "funny-looking" and still be beautiful.

savofenno said...

This is savofenno(anonymous)
Big ears? But Yukarin is a Juraian, as Takahashi Mikako also. If you remember Tenchi Muyo.
I do, being a otaku since 1986.
Of course i also love contemporary anime.
There`s great many seiyuus, old and young i greatly appreciate. My all time favorite must be Hayashibara Megumi.

hashihime said...

@savofenno -- You're ahead of me, then. I really only got started watching in 2004, so I don't have a full appreciation of Hayashibara Megumi.

Takahashi Mikako is another seiyuu I like, both as a voice and as a personality. Big ears and all, lol.

And Hayami Saori is a young seiyuu who is called "ugly" on 2channel (I don't think Yukarin is), but when you see her in videos, her personality makes her pretty. Same with oHagi, I'd say.

I don't really have a favorite seiyuu, but I love the work of Paku Romi, Sawashiro Miyuki, Kobayashi Sanae, Koshimizu Ami, and Hirano Aya. And I watch some of anything that oHagi or Hayamin is in.

Anonymous said...

so anyone manage to save the video before it was removed, or is there a niconico link?

hashihime said...

@anonymous -- Gone from nico too. But I did find a nice video of oHagi "looking for her prince."

Here's the nico search page for oHagi. And here's the search page for Yukarin on nico and on youtube.