Saturday, November 29, 2008

Seiyuu Awards 2008 -- Nominations, Please

koshimizu amiBeing the innocent soul I am, I still take the annual Seiyuu Awards seriously. Most of the awards given over the past two years have been at least reasonable, in my opinion.

Public voting for the 2008 Seiyuu Awards is ongoing until New Year's Day. Now that we have seen some episodes of the fall season, perhaps it's time for us to vote. I have my own list of nominees in all categories, below. But I would like to ask you to expand my list of nominees. I don't watch every show, and there are no doubt some excellent performances I have overlooked.

With a fuller list, perhaps it will be easier for all of us to cast our own votes. Voting is available through the Awards website, and later I'll give instructions how to cast your vote. In any case, here are my own favorite performances (mouseover pics for captions) --

kishio daisukefemale lead: Koshimizu Ami (Horo-Spice & Wolf), Paku Romi (Kuromitsu-Kurozuka), Kugimiya Rie (Taiga-Toradora)

male lead:
Kishio Daisuke (Kaname-Vampire Knight Guilty), Miyano Mamoru (Kurou-Kurozuka), Kiuchi Hidenobu (Izumida-Ryouko's Case File), Fujiwara Keiji (Tachibana-Antique Bakery)

female supporting: Toyoguchi Megumi (Kuran Klan-Macross Frontier), Tanaka Rie (Eriko-KimiKiss Pure Rouge), Takahashi Mikako (Yoriko-Mouryou no Hako), Sawashiro Miyuki (Tsugumi-Kannagi), Horie Yui (Minori-Toradora)

male supporting: Gouda Hozumi (Hani Meijin-Shion no Ou), Uchida Yuya (Nijuumensou-Nijuumensou no Musume), Mizushima Takahiro (Aihara-KimiKiss)

toyoguchi megumifemale newcomer (5 years or less as a seiyuu): Tomatsu Haruka (Nagi-Kannagi), Takagaki Ayahi (Noe-true tears), Endou Aya (Sheryl-Macross Frontier)

male newcomer: Maeno Tomoaki (Doujou-Library War, Gouta-Natsu no Sora)

singer:
Hayami Saori (Wagaya no Oinarisama), Nakajima Megumi (Macross Frontier), Tomatsu Haruka, Chihara Minori, Nana Mizuki, Hirano Aya

personality:
Takahashi Mikako, Hirano Aya, Kitamura Eri, Nakagawa Shouko (if she still counts as a seiyuu)
-- this is a difficult category for me, since I don't listen to that much seiyuu radio or TV, and don't get all the nuances when I do.

gouda houzumiPlease send me more suggested names in comments on this post, and I will post a fuller list in a future post. Then perhaps we can have our own little awards contest, too.

The awards organization has also established a new award, the Overseas Fans Choice Award. Non-Japanese outside Japan can vote for a single seiyuu -- male or female, old or young -- as their favorite performer of the year. Details and the voting form are here.

As in the main awards, the fans' votes will be the basis for a final choice by the awards organization committee, which includes representatives of various industry organizations and companies. This built-in filter is the crack on which other bloggers pin their contempt for the awards, which produce results with which they disagree. I don't agree with all the results myself, but they generally seem as reasonable as any other method is likely to produce, balancing public popularity with insiders' views and considerations.

tomatsu harukaI myself think that last year's awards looked a lot like public popularity, and that the committee probably just tinkered a bit here and there. Shougakukan joined Kadokawa as a sponsor last year, along with various professional and industry associations, so I think the sponsor list is now broad enough for biases to cancel out to some extent. We'll see how things go this year. Voting ends 1 January, but the awards ceremony doesn't take place until 7 March.

Here is the awards website. And here is the main voting page. I will give detailed instructions for voting when I post the full list of nominees.

There is nothing about this on the Awards website, but the new overseas award makes me fear that non-Japanese IP addresses may not be accepted by the voting site any more, or that a vote in the overseas category will make it impossible to vote in the main categories. If either of those things turns out to be true, I'll be sure to run my own voting here.

18 comments:

TheBigN said...

Female Lead: Sawashiro Miyuki (Shinkurou - Kurenai)

Westlo said...

Imo as far as female lead goes it's

Koshimizu Ami (Horo-Spice & Wolf)
Tomatsu Haruka (Nagi-Kannagi)
Endou Aya (Sheryl-Macross Frontier)

and than it's just daylight between them and rest.... last years best imo was Andou Mabuki for Balsa from Seirei no Moribito....

Andrew said...

Aya Endo for best newcomer and Megumi Nakajima for best singer.

I must admit that Macross Frontier was almost the only show I was watching last summer. But after hearing about last year, I wouldn't mind seeing a non-Kadokawa show make a big splash at the awards.

Chibi-Chibi said...

Suzuki Tatsuhisa for personality. He got noted this year as Tezuka in ToshoSen and after hearing him in loads of radio shows and such i can say only OMGROFL. He deserves more attention XD

peanutbutter003 said...

Macross Frontier - Lion for Best Song.

Kaioshin Saam said...

Aya Hirano for everything. Cause you know Kadokawa's going to find something to give her an award for.

Personally though I think anything other than Megumi Nakajima as best newcomer will turn this into the biggest laughing stock yet. It's such a gimme.

Westlo said...

Kaio how did Megumi outperform Endo in Frontier when it comes to best new performer? Is this your dislike for Sheryl shinning through again? Even hashihime who vastly preferred Ranka over Sheryl listed Aya Endo and not Megumi.

Not that it matters Tomatsu Haruka is going to run away with the award and she deserves it too.

Anyway I look forward to Megumi's next role where she can use her natural voice instead of her "Ranka" voice because it's so much better, same for her singing. Her Ranka speaking and singing voice is nothing compared to her normal speaking and singing voice. So much more vibrant and alive...

Andrew said...

I'd rather see Diamond Crevasse win best song even though I preferred Ranka's songs mostly.

hashihime said...

Thanks for the suggestions. Please keep 'em coming.

There is no "best song" category, but I'll take those as "best singer," when they are by a seiyuu and not May'N.

I love Sawashiro Miyuki's work, but for some reason Kurenai didn't do it for me. Definitely should be in the list, however. How could I have forgotten her?

Kaioshin, I think you're behind the times. Shougakukan had already joined Kadokawa as a sponsor of the awards last year. I don't discount the possibility of a certain amount of fix being in, but I think the nay-sayers are a bit over-enthusiastic in their accusations. And there's no way Tomatsu beating out Nakajima would discredit these awards. Based on Japanese otaku opinion, I think it might even be the other way around.

Thanks again, everyone.

Soul's Rhapsody said...

Saito Chiwa for Kemeko in Kemeko DX. It's not only because Kemeko is a bloody awesomely insane character, but the crazy range of voices that she would use while voicing this one character.
Sawashiro Miyuki for Shinkurou isn't a bad choice either.

BTW I agree with most of the nominations listed already, I'm glad that someone else enjoyed Toyoguchi Megumi's performance in Macross Frontier as much as I did. XD

Anonymous said...

from arigatou

female lead - Rie Kugimiya (Nagi Sanzenin, Kagura, Taiga) *she should win this year's Seiyuu Awards*

male lead - Jun Fukuyama (Lelouch Lamperouge, Kimihiro Watanuki, Kraft Lawrence)

female supporting - Horie Yui (Siesta, Minori Kushieda)

male supporting - Hiroshi Kamiya (Michael Blanc)

female newcomer - Haruka Tomatsu (Lala Satalin Deviluke, Nagi)

male newcomer - Maeno Tomoaki (doujou, gouta)

singer - Megumi Nakajima

personality - Aya Hirano

Overseas Choice Fan Award - Megumi Hayashibara

j1m0ne said...

I'll [probably] eat my face if Ito Kanae doesn't land one of the two best female newcomer awards. Maeno is probably a lock-on, although Kaji Yuki is a possibility. Best personality - Kamiya, Ono, Hirano, Tamura, Paku, Miyano are all possibilities. I'd love to see Sakurai Takahiro grabbing it, but I'm not sure they're willing to honour him given his past controversies.

Yes, I'm still a cynic but I'm not as hardcore as Kaioshin Sama - I still hold out a ray of hope for the selection process, though that was probably crushed by the statement that even the overseas fans' vote "shall (only) determine the first assessment. A second assessment shall be held by the Seiyu Awards Selection Committee". GREEATT.

Anonymous said...

no aya for chiko? :(

peanutbutter003 said...

Looks like I got my facts wrong. It's best singer, not best song.

In that case, May'N and Megumi Nakajima to share best singer award from me.

Andrew said...

May'n just sang for Sheryl, so I don't know if she would count as a seiyuu. Don't get me wrong, she at least deserves a nomination in Japan's Grammy equivalent.

gaguri said...

Paku Romi - she was great in her performance as Popo in my favourite anime of the year, Kaiba. She played a male character, complex and very sympathetic (one might call him a villain but he's very grey), who played a crucial role in connecting us into that bizarre, tragic but ultimately uplifting world of Kaiba.

Playful character of Horo was pretty good as well.

Shinkurou and Mursaki were both wonderful in Kure-nai (although I personally think the director had a lot to do with how wonderful the voice acting came about). Especially Shinkurou, who reminded me once again of her brilliant performance in Red Garden.

And I thought Kallen and Lelouch were pretty good in Code Geass.

hashihime said...

@anonymous -- You know how much I love Aya, and I was extremely enthusiastic about her work in Nijuumensou at first. But neither the character nor the voice seemed to develop that much as the show went on. And in any case, she won last year, so I'm not going to give it to either her or Paku Romi (who won the year before).

I'm tempted in the case of Paku-san, however, since I think her Kuromitsu in Kurozuka is just a stunning performance. If you haven't seen that rather bloody show, at least try a couple of episodes, if only for her (and Mamo-chan's) great work.

@gaguri -- So I guess I'm going to have to try to watch more Kaiba. Thanks for the recommendation, both of the voice and of the show.

@arigatou -- Thanks for the full list.

@j1m0ne -- Timely reminder of Sakurai's "plagiarism" problems. I had forgotten -- not that I cared much to begin with -- but the industry never forgets, it seems.

Thanks for mentioning Itou Kanae. She definitely belongs on the list. Further short-term memory lapse, lol. Please do not eat face, whatever happens.

Tengoku said...

Male lead:
Fukuyama Jun(Lelouch Lamperouge-Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion)
Miyano Mamoru(Kiryuu Zero-Vampire Knight,Setsuna.F.Seiei-Gundam 00)
Nakamura Yuichi(Okazaki Tomoya-CLANNAD, Alto Saotome-Macross Frontier, Tsukiyomi Ikuto-Shugo Chara)

Female lead:
Tomatsu Haruka(Nagi-Kannagi)
Saitou Chiwa(Kemeko-Kemeko-DX!)
Ise Mariya(Tanarot-Macademi WAsshoi!)

Male supporting:
Sakaguchi Daisuke(Sunohara Youhei-CLANNAD, Nakata Yuuji-Bamboo Blade)
Nakamura Yuichi(Graham Aker-Gundam 00)
Namikawa Daisuke(Thobari-Nabari no Ou)

Female supporting:
Hirohashi Ryou(Fujibayashi Kyou-CLANNAD, Sakino Asuka-Kimikiss Pure Rouge)
Horie Yui(Kushieda Minori-Toradora!, Siesta-Zero no Tsukaima)

Male newcomer:
Ishii Makoto (Nakagami Shinchirou-true tears) [Not entirely sure whether he is eligible though]
Maeno Tomoaki(Midorikawa Gouta-Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto ~Natsu no Sora~)

Female newcomer:
Tomatsu Haruka(Nagi-Kannagi)
Itou Kanae(Hinamori Amu-Shugo Chara)
Ise Mariya(Kamiazuma Touka-Touka Gettan, Tanarot-Macademi WAsshoi!)

Singer:
Tomatsu Haruka(motto☆hade ni ne!, Datte Daihonmei, etc)
Kitamura Eri(Mirai he Go, Pre-parade, etc)
Sakakibara Yui(Katayoku no Icarus, Haritsuke no Misa, etc)

Personality:
Kitamura Eri
Chihara Minori
Hirano Aya

If not for Emirin already winning a few awards last year I would have nominated for her big time again.