Thursday, January 22, 2009

Top Seiyuus of 2008 -- Poll Results

Koshimizu Ami at a Spice & Wolf live eventKoshimizu Ami's Horo in Spice & Wolf was the top lead female seiyuu performance of 2008. That's what your votes said. And that's what I thought, too.

Male lead: Fukuyama Jun (Lelouche in Code Geass)
Supporting female: Horie Yui (Minori in Toradora)
Supporting male: Kamiya Hiroshi (Michel in Macross Frontier)
New female: Tomatsu Haruka (Nagi in Kannagi)
New male: Maeno Tomoaki (Doujou in Library Wars)
Top seiyuu-singer: Mizuki Nana
Top personality: Paku Romi

Koshimizu got 33 votes as top female lead and was followed by Tomatsu Haruka, with 25. Kugimiya Rie had 22, and Hirano Aya 19.

Full results are listed at the end of this post. Worthy winners all round, it seems to me, even if I didn't always vote for the winner myself. Thanks to all 160 people who voted. Note the varying numbers of votes in the various categories, below. Like me, you clearly know the female seiyuus better than the male, and the lead roles better than the supporting roles. I posted the poll last Wednesday, and it was open for exactly a week.

Fukuyama JunAs male lead, Jun-chan was way out in front, with 67 votes to 18 for Miyano Mamoru (Kuro in Kurozuka) and 15 for Nakamura Yuuichi (Alto in Macross Frontier).

For best supporting female, Horie Yui won almost as big, with 48 votes to 33 for Sawashiro Miyuki (Tsugumi in Kannagi) to 12 for Toyoguchi Megumi (Klan in Macross Frontier).

Kamiya HiroshiKamiya Hiroshi (Michel in Macross Frontier) also won big as supporting male, with 47 votes to 21 for Uchida Yuya (Nijuumensou) and ten for Gouda Houzumi (Hani Meijin in Shion no Ou). I suspect Fujiwara Keiji, who got seven votes for his role as Ali in Gundam00, might have got more if I had had him in the nominations from the start, rather than adding him later in response to a comment.

Tomatsu Haruka ran away with the top new female award, with 60 votes to only 27 for Endou Aya (Sheryl in Macross). I expected Endou-san to get more votes. Next came the wonderful Takagaki Ayahi (Noe in true tears), with 15 votes, and Itou Kanae (Amu in Shugo Chara) with 10.

Tomatsu HarukaTop new male went to Maeno Tomoaki (Doujou in Library Wars, 38 votes), followed not so far behind by Uchiyama Kouki (Soul Eater, 30 votes). Once again, I suspect that Abe Atsushi (Akiyuki in Xam'd) might have got more than six votes if I had had his name in the list from the start, rather than adding him partway through.

It's clear who the international audience thinks is the top seiyuu-singer: Mizuki Nana got 55 votes to 25 for Nakajima Megumi (Ranka in Macross). Chihara Minori and Hirano Aya tied, with 14 votes. I was one of five people who voted for Hayami Saori.

As for top seiyuu media personality, it was a close contest between Paku Romi and Hirano Aya, but Paku-san came out on top, by 26 votes to 25. Kitamura Eri (14 votes), Ono Daisuke (13), and Shouko-tan (Nakagawa Shouko, 12) followed.

Here are the full lists:




There were some write-in votes:

Top female: Inoue Marina (Toshokan Sensou), Mizuki Nana, Hazuki Erino (Aria the Origination), Noto Mamiko, Nakahara Mai (Clannad), Kuwashima Houko (Kaiba-Kaiba), Nazuka Kaori (Hiromi-True Tears, 2 votes), Horie Yui.

Top male: Kamiya Hiroshi (Natsume Yuujin-chou - 3), Seki Tomokazu (Chiaki-Nodame Cantabile Pari-hen), Rikiya Koyama (Kogarashi-Kamen no Maid Guy), Yoshino Hiroyuki (Taku - ChaosHEad), Tomokazu Sugita (Gintama).

Supporting female: Inoue Kikuko - Grace (Macross Frontier), Marina Inoue (Tsukiumi-Sekirei), Mizuhashi Kaori (Hidamari Sketchx365), Yukana (C.C. - Code Geass), Kuwashima Houko (Soul Eater).

Supporting male: Ono Daisuke (Hosaka-Minami-ke), Kiuchi Hidenobu (Mouryou no Hako), Inoue Kazuhiko (Nyanko sensei- Natsume Yuujin chou), Takahiro Sakurai (Suzaku - Code Geass), Konishi Katsuyuki (Ozma - Macross Frontier).

New female: Ryoko Shiraishi (Hayate no Gotoku - ineligible, first role 1999), Marina Inoue, Kokubun Yukari Tsuna in Hitman Reborn), Nakajima Megumi (Ranka in Macross - 2), Hayami Saori (Kou-Wagaya no Oinarisama), Hanazawa Kana (Zange-Kannagi).

New male: Abe Atsushi.

Seiyuu-singer: Endou Aya (did she sing in any show? - she didn't in Macross; that was May'N doing Sheryl's songs), Tamura Yukari, Sakamoto Maaya (I should have included her in the nominations list).

4 comments:

Kaioshin Sama said...

Don't forget that Kamiya Hiroshi also did a very high profile supporting role in my man Tieria Erde from Gundam 00. If Michel wasn't already enough then that pretty much sealed the deal as I would imagine that Gundam fans would be likely to vote for my other man Michel.

Huh....even my Captcha is the name of a Gundam character in Quess. Must be telling me I'm onto something. :)

Bita26 said...

I was waiting for the results to come out. Glad most of the people I voted for won in their categories (though I would have liked Inoue Kazuhiko to win XD). Now we just have to wait for the Seiyuu Awards to come out to compare the results.

Panther said...

Well if we looked at more than just one series I would have hoped for Kuwashima Houko to win, since she has been really great this year.

Endou Aya sang in Sekirei's OP and ED theme songs, but as part of the 4 girls instead of just herself. I have no idea if she sang in any other anime series in 2008.

hashi said...

@Bita26 -- Exactly. We now can compare our choices with those produced by the Seiyuu Awards process. I've been more accepting of their process than others have been, and now we have some sense of seiyuus' popularity among at least one small group (160) of English-reading animephiles, so we have something to compare the Japanese results with.

@Panther -- I should have been clearer in my initial post. I intended that one role mentioned for each seiyuu just to give people a clear idea of who they were. If people wanted to vote on the basis of another role, or of a group of roles, that was fine with me. If I do this next year, I'll make that clear.

@Kaioshin_sama -- I watched 3-4 episodes of the first series of Gundam00 and found nothing to retain my interest. But its clear popularity makes me think I must have been missing something, so perhaps I'll look at the first ep of the second series, just to see.