Thursday, April 16, 2009

Jewelpet -- Characters and Seiyuus

Jewelpet is a Sunday morning anime for young girls, and is a tie-in with a line of stuffed toys from Sanrio and Sega.

But in fact, it's not half bad.

And it has a very interesting cast. It's intended as a vehicle for Morning Musume member Kamei Eri, who does a decent job for a new seiyuu. And singer/TV personality Akina is also trying her hand at seiyuu work. So are some good seiyuu: Hirano Aya, Sawashiro Miyuki, the burbling lisp of Sasaki Nozomi, former child star Saitou Ayaka, lovely-voiced veteran Shishido Rumi, Takeuchi Junko, and apparently even Miyano Mamoru.

So I've made a characters and seiyuus page for the show:


The show is directed by first-timer Sasaki Nanako, but the writer is Maekawa Jun, who adapts Prince of Tennis for anime, did Sisters of Wellber and is doing Fresh Precure. Character design by Onegai My Melody character designer Miyakawa Tomoko. From Studio Comet, which does Onegai My Melody and School Rumble. The show is slated for 52 episodes.

I'm hoping for something as good as Otogijushi Akazukin. The animation and art aren't quite as good, but the cast is similarly interesting (Sawashiro Miyuki is in both shows), and the writing is so far not too puerile.

In fact, I enjoyed the first two episodes, in which the first two of three pairs of human girl and jewelpet form. A large number of jewelpets has fallen from their magic Jewel Land to Earth, and the one remaining jewelpet is sent down to find the rest. In the process, the magic jewelpets help their human partners with various problems.

With so many singers in the show, can character CDs and live events be in the works? Contractual complexities might prevent it, but we'll see.

I will continue to update the page as new characters appear.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha, Otogijushi Akazukin... That's probably the only young shoujo anime that I've ever gotten into and really liked. Full Moon Sagashite I watched and it seemed like it kinda dragged... it wasn't really bad though.. manga was probably better.

But hey, if you think Jewelpet is alright along the lines of Otogijushi Akazukin I'll give it a shot... I don't think hashihime picks have ever steered me wrong before.. I also loved NANA and Simoun as like some of my alltime favorite anime and enjoyed some of the unexpected things you said were good like Hidamari Sketch. Oh and on favorite anime note - have you watched The Twelve Kingdoms?

hashi said...

@anonymous -- Well, I'm into this more for the seiyuus than anything. And I can't guarantee I'll keep watching. But I was surprised how entertained I was by the first two episodes. We'll see if it's anywhere near as good as Otogijushi Akazukin as we go on. I remember liking Full Moon wo Sagashite, myself. But I certainly don't watch many of these shows for younger kids.

I've seen a little of Twelve Kingdoms, but not enough to get into it. But it's on my list of good shows to pick up at some point. And now it's a bit higher on the list.

dingmajiao said...

i thought the first episode was interesting.. nonetheless..

miyano's character made me laugh a lot of time..

it looks decent and good so far..

Anonymous said...

This show methinks of Pet Society on Facebook. xD