Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Seitokai Yakuindomo -- Character/Seiyuu Pics and Info

This is the season Hikasa Youko became a big star.

Her role of Mio in K-On put her in the spotlight. Hana in Seikon no Qwesar was an interesting role. Junko in Ichiban Ushiro no Dai Maou was attractive and competent. But now she is starring in two good new shows -- Seitokai Yakuindomo and Seikimatsu Occult Gakuin -- and making herself the absolute focus of attention in both. There's no doubt about it, she's got "it." And oh, yes, K-On 2 is still the most popular late-night anime in Japan.

But Hyocchi is not the only good seiyuu in these shows. Yahagi Sayuri, in particular, is good in SeiYaku. The "doooo?" in a catchprase she uses is a classic. Click here or on the image to go to a full page giving pics of the ten main characters in the show and their seiyuus, along with info about the seiyuus.


Satou Satomi is good as ojou-sama Aria. Asanuma Shintarou is doing well as the lead guy. Kobayashi Yuu is the lecherous teacher. And we have the pleasure/pain of hearing Omigawa Chiaki again (she was Maka in Soul Eater). Her dead voice is sometimes hard to take, but it does convey a character's innocence, and there are moments when it shines.

5 comments:

lvlln said...

I've often seen Chiaki Omigawa's voice acting criticized, particularly her performance in Soul Eater. I guess I don't really understand what about her performance is worse than other voice actors'.

OK, I haven't really watched all of Soul Eater, and I do think that her voice sounds a bit monotone at times, but I thought she was able to emote and pull feeling into her voice fine in shows like Natsu no Arashi and Arakawa Under the Bridge.

Westlo said...

"OK, I haven't really watched all of Soul Eater, and I do think that her voice sounds a bit monotone at times, but I thought she was able to emote and pull feeling into her voice fine in shows like Natsu no Arashi and Arakawa Under the Bridge."

Well personally I think she's improved a lot since Soul Eater..

hashi said...

@Ivlin -- Omigawa-san's voice has the same flatness of expression as many untrained voices. And it still has it in this show, to my ear. Compare it to the tonal variation and energy in the voice of Yahagi Sayuri (Suzu), for example.

I've actually liked a lot of flat voices (In Aishiteruze Baby, in Paradise Kiss, in Project Ice). Those voices can seen more real or honest, sometimes. Not all seiyuu have to have the perfect control and intentionality (and sometimes falseness) of the real pros.

I liked that flat, natural sound of Omigawa-san in the few episodes of Soul Eater I watched. But when I first heard her in this episode, for some reason her voice did seem so flat and unexpressive. Maybe by contrast with the other voices. I heard the lack of skill rather than the naturalness.

Having listened again, I am happier with it, and really liked her positive little grunt in the hallway. That had innocence and naturalness. And the "kinchou shita" was effective, although it was particularly flat.

Both Natsu no Arashi and Arakawa I let slide partway through, so I don't have a clear impression of her there. But in SoulEater and here, to my ear, she has exactly the sort of amateurish flatness that Japanese otaku hold in particular disdain.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of that flatness -- isn't that also that same style that's in a lot of Japanese anime movies? The more slice-of-lifey ish ones where you have a bunch of younger kids and it's supposed to be taking place in Japan in their cultural setting.

I sometimes kind of like that tone. You said "falseness" and it's clear sometimes that the seiyuu voices are definitely for otaku... and sometimes a bit too exaggerated to fit character personalities and stereotypes than to be actual "real people" (and well of course, otaku prefer 2d over 3d as well...)

hashi said...

@anonymous -- Yes, I think that's true: otaku commentators can be scathing about the flatness of voices in some mainstream anime films. As Miyazaki has been scathing about professional seiyuu work in TV anime. He likes to use actors rather than seiyuu.