Sunday, December 12, 2010

2010 in Review -- Five Favorite OP/EDs

There was quite a bit of good anime music this year, especially in the fall. Here are my five favorite OP/EDs, based on image, music, the way the two work together, and the way the OP/ED works with its show.

1. House of Five Leaves OP (immi, "Sign of Love") -- Fascinating music, with entrancing imagery that was also inexpensive to produce. Enjoyable both for itself and for how it sets up and gives pace to the show.




2. Shiki OP1 (Buck-Tick, "Kuchizuke") -- Dark vampiric modern rock, with outstanding images. I can't imagine a better OP for this excellent show.




3. Star Driver OP (Aqua Timez, "GRAVITY Ø"). Image and music combine to accelerate us into the show.




4. Dance in the Vampire Bund OP (Nakano Aiko, "Friends"). It's not the music, or the images, but the way they work together. The visual/aural rhythms are amazing, as they are in the anime itself.




5. Sore demo Machi ga Mawatteiru ED (Maids [Yazawa Rieka, Omigawa Chiaki, Yuuki Aoi, Shiraishi Ryouko], "Maids Sanjou!") -- Hilarious animation and a good comic song sung with energy, accuracy, and just the right amount of irony.




Those are my five favorites, but there are more good anime themes (links to online videos):

6 comments:

The Extroverted Otaku said...

Agree with No.3 and 5.

Feel like running around every time "Gravity Ø" is played ^^

Kai said...

I liked the Live Action version of the SoreDemo ED

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zojY06rkfdY.

hashi said...

@Kai -- Me, too. Maybe I should have linked to that version instead. As a fairly abject Yuuki Aoi fan, I like to see her whenever I can, lol.

@The Extroverted Otaku -- No question. It seems to me to do exactly what an OP should: get us moving with the show.

Anonymous said...

Totally on board with Sign of Love by immi!!!! Listened to the OP every episode. I want to buy their stuff to hear their other music.

RP said...

Wow, I love the House of Five Leaves OP. I didn't have much interest in the show before, but I think I want to give it a shot just to see/hear the OP.

skchai said...

Friends is a cover of the 1985 #1 song by the band Rebecca, whose keyboardist/composer was Dobashi Akio, the music director of Dance in the Vampire Bund. Lyricist was Nokko, the lead singer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weaYLF7cR1o

Get past the 10-second weird transition blurb to get to the live. One thing you noticed is how much the Vampire Bund version has been de-rocked. Assume bringing Dobashi on board was Shinbo's decision; he's of the Rebecca "generation".