This spring, there are 47 new series, compared to 36 last spring and 35 the spring before. And I see promising shows in a number of genres.
● Hanasaku Iroha -- The P.A. Works studio's tenth anniversary project. The story of a teenage girl going to work at a hot-spring hotel. Directed by the director of Canaan and written by the writer of true tears. Itou Kanae, Omigawa Chiaki, Toyosaki Aki, Tomatsu Haruka, Noto Mamiko, Suwabe Junichi.
● C - The Money of Soul and Possibility Control -- A new noitaminA drama involving finance in a post-apocalyptic Japan. Directed by the director of Mononoke and starring Uchiyama Kouki and Tomatsu Haruka.
● Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko -- Shaft's Akiyuki Shinbou animates an absurdist loli comedy starring Katou Emiri and Irino Miyu. Character design by Nishida Asako, who designed and animated Simoun.
● A Channel -- Absurd slice-of-life comedy from the staff that made Saki. Starring Fukuhara Kaori, the brilliant Yuuki Aoi, and Kotobuki Minako.
● Nichijou -- The director of Haruhi makes KyoAni's answer to A Channel: another absurd comedy, starring two of the seiyuus who helped make Seitokai no Ichizon so good.
● Showa Monogatari -- A comedy-drama about life in the early 1960s, when Japan was transforming itself from post-war poverty to the advanced and wealthy country it has become. Supposedly aimed at older adults who were alive during those years.
● Steins;Gate -- Science-fiction adventure directed by Satou Takuya (Ichigo Mashimaro, Seitokai no Ichizon) and written by Hanada Jukki (SeiZon, Rozen Maiden). Starring Miyano Mamoru, Imai Asami, Hanazawa Kana, Seki Tomokazu, et al.
● Deadman Wonderland -- Shounen science-fiction with Kafkaesque overtones, from a manga by the author of Eureka Seven, and starring Paku Romi and Hanazawa Kana.
● Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi --Yaoi comedy-drama directed by Kon Chiaki (Higurashi, Nodame Finale, Zakuro) and written by Nakase Rika (Junjou Romantica, Kanamemo). Starring Kondou Takeshi and Konishi Katsuyuki, with a starry supporting cast.
And that's not all.... I'm also optimistic about 30-sai no Hoken Taiiku, Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai, Ao no Exorcist, Appleseed XIII, Astarotte no Omocha!, Dog Days, Fujilog, Gintama, Gyakkyou Burai Kaiji: Hakairoku Hen, Hyouge Mono, and MariaHolic Alive. I don't see any promising shoujo romances, but that's about it.
Anyway, here is an alphabetical list of all the new shows, linked to full previews giving staff, cast, story, pic, trailer, manga scan, etc.