Friday, February 10, 2012

Quick Reviews of the New Anime

Another
I'm coming to this season a bit late. I was busy and not able to see the new shows in January. But now I'm up to date, and the shows I am most enjoying are Another, Nisemonogatari, and Ano Natsu de Matteru. But I also like Black Rock Shooter, High School DxD, InuxBoku SS, and Daily Lives of High School Boys.

Another -- Interesting, well-laid out little supernatural mystery with good characters and relationships. And blood.

Nisemonogatari -- Bakemonogatari was brilliant, and this is really the same show. So it gets marks for being what it is. But it loses marks for the same reason: something more different would have been welcome. And I am seeing the sexploitation a little more clearly this time around. But that doesn't mean I am not enjoying it (both the show and the exploitation).

Ano Natsu de Matteru -- A pleasant melange of Ano Hana with Toradora and Onegai Teacher/Twins. The voices are good, particularly Ishihara Kaori as the childhood friend.

Black Rock Shooter -- A short series spun off from the OVA. And I like it a bit better than the OVA. Not such sharp animation, but good enough. And a bit more story, unconventionally presented.


High School DxD -- Like Ichiban Ushiro no Dai Maou, this one snuck up on me. I had no expectation of enjoying it as much as I do. After all, it is just a demon fanservice comedy. But like Dai Maou, it works. And Kaji Yuuki and Hikasa Youko are outstanding as the leads.

InuxBoku SS -- This is another show I didn't expect to like. But the main character and her servant are terrific, making this much deeper emotionally than a lot of more apparently serious shows. Hidaka Rina shows me a lot more than I realized she had. And Nakamura Yuuichi shows he can do a butler character very well.

Daily Lives of High School Boys -- Enjoyable. There are at least one or two laughs every week. But I'm not sure it will sustain me through many episodes. To me, this is mainly a vehicle for some entertainingly rambunctious seiyuus: Sugita Tomokazu, Irono Miyu and Suzumura Kenichi, among others.

That's about all I'm watching. I keep dipping back into Rinne no Lagrange and Symphogear, but mainly for two seiyuus: Ishihara Kaori and Yuuki Aoi, respectively.

I lost interest in the first Amagami SS -- it didn't seem like real romance to me, more like seinen wish-fulfilment. And despite this new show being of similarly high quality, it doesn't sustain my interest.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not related to the post but do you have a twitter account? :)

hashi said...

@anonymous -- I do, but I don't use it much, almost never post, and so far have only posted in Japanese. If I start to use it more, I will mention that in the blog. Thanks for asking.

Anonymous said...

I see you're back now, hashi.

It's none of my business but what have you been up to these last three months?

Anonymous said...

I see you've made a grave mistake. You're not watching Mouretsu Pirates.

You must correct this immediately. It's awesome. <3

hashi said...

@anonymous 2 -- I was in north China. I could still access most anime-related sites (torrents, AnimeSuki, Wikipedia, etc.), except for blog sites (blogspot, Wordpress and their Japanese equivalents). But I was busy and didn't have time to spend on anime. Though I am not Chinese, I speak Chinese, so it was all the more fascinating to be in that lively country, now returning toward its normal status as a center of gravity of the world.

@anonymous 4 -- Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

Cerephi said...

Check out Papa no Iukoto wo kikinasai (listen to yo daddy, lol)

It's just like Usagi drop

Anonymous said...

@hashi: Oh, I see. That certainly explains things.

Sounds like you had a pretty interesting experience. Hope you enjoyed it.

hashi said...

anonymous4 -- Through three episodes, Mouretsu Pirates is a good show. Not at all what I expected, so far. The director did Stellvia, and it shows. He also did Shigofumi.

Kunagisa said...

Phew~

I was ready to come in and bug you to watch Moretsu Pirates, glad someone already did. Nice to see you update your blog again.

Hope you're still keeping up with Taiyou no Ie!!

Anonymous said...

Hashi, you are japanese? Your english is so flawless i thought you were American or European.

hashi said...

@anonymous -- No, not Japanese. But I can read/write some Japanese.

Anonymous said...

Oh, i see. It's good to have you back, love your blog! Keep it up!