Friday, March 16, 2012

Seiyuu Audio: I guess Yuuki Aoi CAN Sing

The new music video made me think she might be pretty limited, but here is a cut from a The World God Only Knows character song album that shows Ao-chan actually can sing, at least better than many seiyuus:




The many, many scrolling comments are almost all quite enthusiastic, ranging from "cute" to "unexpectedly skillful." The lyrics are in Japanese at the bottom of the image. To turn off comments, click the balloon with three dots at the bottom right of the window. As usual with NicoNico embedded videos, it takes a while for the video to start after you click "play."

This song is called "Platinum," and is sung by Ao-chan as her character in the anime, Aoyama Mio. The album came out in December and can be purchased from CDJapan, among other places.

I can't say how much technical wizardry was required to keep her voice so close to being in tune.

9 comments:

caitlyn said...

The main thing I'm gleaning from this is that EleGa really friggin dropped the ball on her Symphogear character single, in which she sounds like a dying banshee

Anonymous said...

xD aoyama not akiyama xD k-on

hashi said...

@Anonymous -- Thanks. Shouldn't have posted late at night without double-checking, as I thought I should.

hashi said...

@caitlyn -- "Dying banshee," lol. Yeah, that could be Ao-chan.

Andrew said...

Is this a cover of a classic anime song? I know this CD also had Kanae Ito singing "Dancing Star" from Urusei Yatsura.

Sailor_Sakura said...

Yes, this is the third season opening song of Cardcaptor Sakura. Originally sung by Maaya Sakamoto.

Anonymous said...

"Dying banshee"

I guess I'm the only one who loved that song and her singing there.

hashi said...

@anonymous -- No, I like that character song with "Gungnir" in the title, too. Just not as much as this one. I was referring to the kinds of sounds Ao-chan can make.

In the Gungnir song, too, you can hear that when she just abandons all hesitation and goes for it, she can do a good job.

I don't think she's a great singer, but now I think she's better than a lot of seiyuu.

Dan said...

I personally don't mind her singing in the ED to Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls. It really fits in with the mood of the song.